This Baby Red Potato Salad is light on the mayonnaise, it will be your new go-to for summer BBQs.
Baby Red Potato Salad
I love a good homemade potato salad, and this one is absolutely delicious, especially if you’re not a fan of traditional potato salad loaded with mayonnaise. It uses just one tablespoon of mayo but still has plenty of sauce from the Dijon mustard, olive oil, and red wine vinegar. And since it uses red potatoes, no need to peel the potatoes so it’s quicker too! For more lighter potato salad recipes, try this Rainbow Potato Salad and Summer Potato Salad with Apples.
This healthy red potato salad is my favorite way to enjoy potato salad. Red potatoes provide vitamin C, vitamin B6, potassium, iron, and dietary fiber. They are even higher in fiber when eaten with the skins on.
Should I cut potatoes before boiling for potato salad?
Yes, I like to cut my potatoes into pieces that are the same size so that they cook quicker and more evenly.
How to make baby red potato salad
Potato salad is super simple to make. While your potatoes are boiling, prep and mix together all of the other ingredients. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Veggies: Baby red potatoes, green bell peppers, red onion, scallions
- Sauce: Dijon mustard, extra virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar, mayonnaise, salt, and pepper
What to Serve with Potato Salad
- If you can’t find baby red potatoes, use regular red or gold potatoes.
- Sub the green bell pepper with another color pepper or add celery.
- Swap the red onion for shallots.
- Add fresh dill to this potato salad.
More Summer Side Recipes You’ll Love:
Baby Red Potato Salad
This Baby Red Potato Salad is the perfect potluck side, or lunch side for summer BBQs or a picnic. It’s light and easy to make with lots of fresh flavor.
- 4 cups baby red potatoes, cut in small pieces
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely diced
- 3 scallions, diced
- 1 1/2 tsps Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp reduced fat mayonnaise
- salt and fresh pepper
Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until soft, approx 10 minutes. Drain.
While the potatoes are boiling, combine red onion, green pepper, mustard, olive oil, vinegar and mayonnaise and season with salt and pepper.
Once the potatoes are done, toss them into the bowl with dressing and add scallions and additional salt and pepper to taste.
Serve room temperature or refrigerate until ready to serve.
Serving: 3/4 cups, Calories: 107.2kcal, Carbohydrates: 17.8g, Protein: 2.2g, Fat: 3.2g, Fiber: 2.1g
Blue Smart Points: 3
Green Smart Points: 3
Purple Smart Points: 1
Points +: 3
Keywords: Gluten Free, Vegetarian Meals