This 15-minute creamy mushroom sauce is so easy to make and packed with rich, savory flavor! You’re going to love it over pasta and meat dishes!
Homemade sauce is what makes pasta shine. it’s such a game-changer, you’ve really got to try it! This homemade lobster sauce, bolognese sauce, and alfredo sauce are just a few of my many favorites. Find my full list of sauces here!
Homemade Mushroom Pasta Sauce
You guys. This creamy mushroom sauce is to die for! Even if you’re not a big mushroom fan, it will make you a believer. It’s rich and meaty and coats pasta in a blanket of creamy goodness. You can also use it over chicken, pork, or even steak!
Good news is, this homemade mushroom sauce only takes 15 minutes to make. I love it because it’s so quick and easy! This makes it a great choice for weeknight dinners. Pair it with your favorite type of pasta and pork chops for a dinner your family won’t forget! The sauce is so flavorful and creamy, you’ll want to lick your plate clean.
Ingredients You’ll Need
One of my favorite things about this mushroom sauce is all of the basic ingredients it uses. This makes it even easier to throw together! All measurements can be found below in the recipe card.
- Butter: Every creamy homemade sauce starts with butter! I love adding it because it gives the mushroom sauce rich, tasty flavor. It also helps to enhance the yummy natural flavor of mushrooms.
- Sliced Mushrooms: Since these are the star of the show, you’ll want to make sure they’re nice and fresh!
- Minced Garlic: Adds the best savory flavor.
- Flour: Helps the mushroom sauce thicken up nicely. All-purpose flour works just fine here.
- Chicken Broth: Helps to add more flavor to the sauce. Beef broth works as a substitute. You can also use vegetable broth for a vegetarian version of this recipe!
- Heavy Cream: Adds thickness and gives the sauce a creamy texture. You can also use half and half!
- Grated Parmesan Cheese: Because you really can’t go wrong by adding some cheesy goodness.
- Seasonings: To enhance the flavor of this mushroom sauce, I added garlic powder, black pepper, salt, and dried thyme. Feel free to add more or less of each to taste!
How to Make Homemade Mushroom Sauce
You’re going to love having this mushroom sauce recipe on hand because it’s so easy to throw together. After just a few minutes of mixing and simmering, you’ll have a tasty sauce ready to top all of your favorite dishes with.
- Melt Butter: In a medium-sized skillet, add the butter and melt over medium heat.
- Cook Mushrooms: Add the mushrooms to the pan and cook until golden brown and softened.
- Cook Garlic: Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Make Roux: Add the flour and whisk until it thickens.
- Whisk in Broth: Whisk in the chicken broth until the flour is dissolved.
- Mix in Remaining Ingredients: Stir in the heavy cream, parmesan cheese, garlic powder, pepper, salt, and thyme. Whisk and simmer the sauce for 10 minutes or until it thickens.
- Serve: Serve over meat, pasta, potatoes, or rice. Garnish with fresh herbs if desired.
Adding White Wine
Mushroom sauce is traditionally made with dry white wine. Feel free to add in a splash! This helps to enhance the overall flavor of the sauce.
Really, the options are endless. This homemade mushroom sauce works so well with so many different dishes! It’s a great way to add hearty, meaty flavor to any meal. As far as meats go, it’s great over grilled chicken, pork chops, or cube steaks! It’s also great as a mushroom gravy to use on mashed potatoes or white rice.
Storing Leftover Mushroom Sauce
With how versatile this sauce is, you’re going to want some leftovers on hand. Heat it up and use it on all of your favorite meat and veggie dishes!
In a medium-sized saucepan, add the butter and melt over medium heat.
Add the mushrooms to the pan and cook until golden brown and softened.
Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
Add the flour and whisk until it thickens.
Whisk in the chicken broth until the flour is dissolved.
Stir in the heavy cream, parmesan cheese, garlic powder, pepper, salt, and thyme. Whisk and simmer the sauce for 10 minutes or until it thickens.
Serve over meat, pasta, potatoes, or rice.
Calories384kcal (19%)Carbohydrates8g (3%)Protein9g (18%)Fat37g (57%)Saturated Fat23g (115%)Polyunsaturated Fat2gMonounsaturated Fat9gTrans Fat0.5gCholesterol107mg (36%)Sodium765mg (32%)Potassium249mg (7%)Fiber1g (4%)Sugar3g (3%)Vitamin A1333IU (27%)Vitamin C2mg (2%)Calcium201mg (20%)Iron1mg (6%)
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.