This smooth and creamy white chocolate buttercream is perfect for all of your favorite cakes and cupcakes! You’ll want this silky frosting on everything!
The Best White Chocolate Buttercream Recipe
This white chocolate buttercream is foolproof. Use it on cookies, cakes, macarons, you name it! It’s got the best white chocolate flavor paired with a creamy consistency that makes it perfect for frosting and piping. It’s silky-smooth, decadent, and is quickly becoming my frosting of choice! One taste and I know you’ll agree. You may even want to eat it straight from the bowl!
To be honest, the best part about this recipe is the fact that it’s so simple to make. A handful of pantry staples and 10 minutes of your time is all you need for some bakery-worthy frosting! This white chocolate buttercream is so versatile, delicious, and tastes better than anything you can get from the store! Try it on gingerbread and Christmas tree cookies. I love a holiday treat that not only looks good but tastes amazing!
White Chocolate Buttercream Ingredients
No long grocery list is needed for this recipe! These simple ingredients allow for the white chocolate flavor to really shine through. It’s simple and delicious! All measurements can be found below in the recipe card.
- White Chocolate: You can use chocolate melts or your favorite white chocolate bar here!
- Unsalted Butter: Butter not only gives your frosting a rich flavor but helps the texture be nice and smooth. I like to make sure my butter is softened so everything mixes together well.
- Powdered Sugar: Added for the perfect sweetness and smooth consistency!
- Vanilla Extract: Used to deepen flavor. I recommend using pure vanilla extract if you have it for best results!
- Salt: Just a pinch is needed to enhance the overall flavor of your white chocolate buttercream.
- Heavy Cream: Add as needed to adjust consistency.
Let’s Make Some Buttercream!
Honestly, making this white chocolate buttercream takes the same amount of effort as going to get storebought frosting. It just tastes a million times better! I know if you make this once you’ll be as addicted as I am! It’s quick, easy, and absolutely delicious!
- Melt Chocolate: In a small bowl, melt the white chocolate in the microwave in 30 second intervals. Allow the fully melted chocolate to cool down for at least 10 minutes, until it is room temperature, not warm to the touch.
- Mix Butter and Chocolate: In a large bowl, add the softened butter and beat for 2-3 minutes until smooth and light. Reduce the mixer speed to low and slowly add in the cooled white chocolate until fully combined and smooth.
- Add Remaining Ingredients: Next, add in the powdered sugar, vanilla and salt and mix on low until nearly completely absorbed before increasing the speed to high. Whip for 2-3 minutes until smooth and fluffy.
- Adjust Consistency: If the texture of the frosting is too thick, add 1 tablespoon of heavy cream and mix on medium low to combine. Add to your favorite desserts and enjoy!
Making Successful Buttercream
Here are a few of my favorite tips and tricks on making your white chocolate buttercream smooth and delicious every time! You’re sure to put together an impressive dessert!
- Soften Butter: The key to smooth buttercream is to soften your butter before mixing it in. If your butter is too hard, it may create lumps when mixed. Just make sure your butter isn’t melted- this can make your buttercream turn out soupy and thin.
- Using Clear Vanilla: If you want that perfect white color for your cakes and cupcakes, use clear vanilla instead of dark vanilla extract.
- Add Sugar Slowly: To avoid having to correct your buttercream consistency, add powdered sugar in slowly until you reach your desired thickness.
- Don’t Overmix: Only mix your buttercream together until smooth. Overmixing can cause your frosting to fill up with air bubbles.
- Use With: I love pairing white chocolate buttercream with chocolate cake and cupcakes for all the chocolate-y flavor! This frosting also tastes great (and looks amazing) on white cake. Really, because the flavor is so versatile, you can use white chocolate buttercream on any cake you’d like! Strawberry, cranberry, and butter pecan cakes are a few of my other favorites to use this frosting with.
Storing Leftover Frosting
White chocolate buttercream is great for storing and making ahead of time! Here’s how to keep this tasty frosting on hand for all of your baking needs.
- In the Refrigerator: In an airtight container, your white chocolate buttercream will keep for up to 5 days.
- In the Freezer: Your frosting can be stored in an airtight container for 2-3 months. Let thaw overnight in the fridge before using.
In a small bowl melt the white chocolate in the microwave in 30-second intervals. Allow the fully melted chocolate to cool down for at least 10 minutes until it is room temperature, not warm to the touch.
In a large bowl add the softened butter and beat for 2-3 minutes until smooth and light. Reduce the mixer speed to low and slowly add in the cooled white chocolate until fully combined and smooth.
Add in the powdered sugar, vanilla, and salt and mix on low until nearly completely absorbed before increasing the speed to high. Whip for 2-3 minutes until smooth and fluffy. If the texture of the frosting is too thick, add 1 tablespoon of heavy cream and mix on medium-low to combine.
Serving12ouncesCalories316kcal (16%)Carbohydrates31g (10%)Protein1g (2%)Fat21g (32%)Saturated Fat13g (65%)Polyunsaturated Fat1gMonounsaturated Fat6gTrans Fat1gCholesterol45mg (15%)Sodium23mg (1%)Potassium59mg (2%)Fiber1g (4%)Sugar31g (34%)Vitamin A478IU (10%)Vitamin C1mg (1%)Calcium42mg (4%)Iron1mg (6%)
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.