The Nintendo Switch, like everything else that can lighten the mood during this incredibly tough time, is in short supply. And as soon as retailers like Best Buy, Amazon, and Walmart get it in stock, it quickly sells out. It can be disheartening to miss out on the opportunity to buy a Switch — but fear not! The purpose of this article is to help you do just that without paying more than it would usually cost at retail.
We’re keeping a lookout across the web to find where, when, and how you can buy a Nintendo Switch (the one you can dock to your TV or remove for portable use) or a Switch Lite (the portable-only version of the console) as well as any bundles that seem like good deals.
Keep in mind that stock — even Switch consoles that are preowned or refurbished — will likely continue to sell out quickly during the pandemic. But we’ll do our best to keep this article up to date with the latest in-stock offers, and we’ll tell you when each offer was posted. When something gets sold out, we’ll try to let you know.
Where can I buy a Nintendo Switch or Switch Lite right now?
- Currently, you can buy the Nintendo Switch Fortnite Wildcat bundle for $300 at GameStop. This bundle includes special art on both the Switch and the console’s dock, a pair of yellow and blue Joy-Cons, Fortnite pre-installed, 2,000 V-Bucks, plus a download code for The Wildcat Bundle.
- Over at Amazon, you can buy an updated Nintendo Switch model with neon and blue Joy-Cons, plus a 64GB SanDisk MicroSD card for $320. You can also get a similar bundle, but with a 128GB MicroSD card for $327 at Amazon.
- Amazon and GameStop have the Nintendo Switch with gray Joy-Cons for $300.
- You can buy the updated Nintendo Switch model with red and blue Joy-Cons for $300 at Amazon.
- Amazon, GameStop, and Target currently have Nintendo Switch Lite stock available in different colors.
- GameStop and Best Buy receive new supplies of the Nintendo Switch and Switch Lite consoles fairly regularly, and it’s a good strategy to keep these pages open so you can quickly add one to your cart when they come back in stock.
If you’re not against buying a preowned or refurbished console, you’ll want to check out GameStop. Another good place to look is Nintendo’s own online store where it sells refurbished Switch consoles. Those have been sold out recently, but there’s no telling when it will restock the page with some repaired, refreshed consoles.
What accessories do I need to buy for the Nintendo Switch?
Frankly, the Switch comes with everything that you need to get started and have fun. However, a few extra purchases can help you get a little more out of your console, and in some cases, help it weather the wear and tear that it’ll undoubtedly endure.
First off, a microSD card will help you extend your Switch’s default 32GB of storage. Amazon, Best Buy, and other retailers regularly sell cards with up to 512GB of storage for around $79. A 400GB microSD card will cost you around $40, and with each game ranging in download size from 1GB to tens of gigabytes, the card has enough space to store several of them.
Let’s talk quickly about controllers. The Switch Joy-Cons have a somewhat unconventional look. Nevertheless, the Pro Controller is a great alternative to play most Switch games, though some Super Mario Party titles require the Joy-Cons to play. If you are looking for a Switch Pro controller, Walmart also has the normal Switch Pro controller for $59, knockings $11 off its normal retail price. For $87, you can grab a Switch Pro controller plus a digital copy of Super Mario Odyssey.
Next up, get a tempered glass screen cover. The display on the Switch and Switch Lite is covered in plastic, and it’s just asking to get scratched as soon as you take it out of the box. Save the heartbreak by getting an affordable, easy-to-apply glass cover at Amazon.
If you want to play online with friends, ensure that your saves are backed up in the cloud, and get access to a slate of on-demand games from the original Nintendo console and SNES console era, you’ll want to get a Nintendo Switch Online subscription. It’s $20 per year for a single user on a console or $35 a year for up to eight users on different consoles.