This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my disclosure policy.
Packed with tangy, savory, fresh flavor, this homemade Hibachi Sauce pairs perfectly with steak and stir fries. It’s made without preservatives or artificial flavors for a sauce you can feel great about using!
What is Hibachi Sauce?
Hibachi sauce is a fresh and flavorful condiment that you might find at your local Japanese steakhouse to enjoy with hibachi steak, veggies and rice. It’s kind of similar to teriyaki sauce with soy sauce as its foundation. However, it’s blended with rice wine vinegar, chinkiang vinegar, and fresh ingredients like onion, garlic and ginger to really make the flavor come alive.
To balance all of the flavors, a bit of brown sugar and lemon juice is added, too. You’re going to adore the way it tastes! It has the best taste, and it’s perfect for dipping fried foods in, or drizzling over sautéed vegetables or smothering on top of your favorite meat dishes. Need some ideas? Karaage chicken (Japanese fried chicken), crispy shrimp, or egg rolls just to name a few.
It only takes a handful of ingredients to make this hibachi sauce recipe, and they’re all really simple and easy to find! It’s just a mix of some pantry staples along with onion, garlic, and ginger. You can easily adjust the ratios to your preference, which is one of the best things about making sauces from scratch!
- Yellow Onion: Adds depth of flavor and complexity to the sauce.
- Garlic: For a savory and slightly spicy flavor.
- Ginger: Grated ginger gives the sauce a subtle kick, adding a touch of freshness.
- Soy Sauce: The savory base of the sauce.
- Rice Wine Vinegar: Adds a sweet, acidic taste.
- Chinkiang Vinegar: This vinegar has a rich, slightly smoky flavor, and adds the best flavor to the dressing.
- Lemon Juice: A small amount of fresh lemon juice adds brightness.
- Brown Sugar: For a hint of sweetness to balance out the flavors. You could also use honey or even a little maple syrup.
- Ground Black Pepper: Adds a little extra kick.
How to Make Homemade Hibachi Sauce
This recipe for hibachi sauce is so easy to make! Simply combine all of your ingredients together in a food processor or blender, then transfer to an airtight jar and pop it in the fridge! You will love having this on hand, it’s so delicious.
- Blend: In a blender or food processor, add all the ingredients and pulse until the sauce is pureed to the desired consistency.
- Store: Pour the sauce into an airtight container and place in the fridge. Before using, allow the sauce to marinate overnight if possible.
- Serve: Use this sauce in stir fries, over rice, or as a dipping sauce!
Ways to Customize Your Sauce
Make this tasty hibachi sauce your own with these extra tips and tricks!
- Make it Sweeter: If you prefer a sweeter sauce, add more brown sugar to taste. Start with the suggested amount of 2 tablespoons and then adjust accordingly! You can also use honey or maple syrup instead, if you prefer.
- Make it Spicy: If you would like to spice this sauce up, add 2 teaspoons of sriracha, or more to taste.
- Extra Flavor: Add a few drops of sesame oil for some nuttiness!
- Let the Flavors Meld: For a stronger flavor, refrigerate your sauce for at least 2 hours, but overnight is best, then serve.
Storing Leftover Sauce
Keep any leftover hibachi sauce in an airtight container stored in the fridge for up to 10 days. Give it a quick stir before you use it again to make sure all the ingredients are fully combined.
Pin this now to find it later
In a blender or food processor, add all the ingredients and pulse until the sauce is pureed to the desired consistency.
Pour the sauce into an airtight container and place in the fridge. Before using, allow the sauce to marinate overnight if possible.
Use this sauce in stir fries, over rice, or as a dipping sauce!
If you would like to spice this sauce up, add 2 teaspoons of sriracha, or more to taste.
For a sweeter sauce, add additional brown sugar.
Serving: 1servingCalories: 18kcalCarbohydrates: 3gProtein: 1gFat: 0.04gSaturated Fat: 0.01gPolyunsaturated Fat: 0.01gMonounsaturated Fat: 0.01gSodium: 406mgPotassium: 43mgFiber: 0.3gSugar: 2gVitamin A: 1IUVitamin C: 2mgCalcium: 8mgIron: 0.2mg
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.