Whether you’re a seafood lover or a fan of Mexican cuisine, Shrimp Quesadillas are a must-try dish that combines the best of both worlds. If you love quesadillas but are unsure how to fit them into your healthy fitness goals, you’ll love this easy recipe. With lean shrimp as the star ingredient and a generous amount of protein, these easy quesadillas are filling and delicious. The high-fiber tortillas and the freshness of the Tomato Avocado Salsa make it a well-rounded and nutritious choice. If you prefer chicken, try these quesadilla recipes; Chicken Quesadillas with mango salsa and BBQ Chicken Quesadillas.
Quesadilla with Shrimp Ingredients
- Red Onion and Garlic finely chopped and sauteed with the shrimp
- Jalapeño: Mince one jalapeño. Leave some of the seeds in it for a spicy quesadilla.
- Tomato: Dice one vine-ripened tomato.
- Shrimp: You can buy shrimp peeled and deveined to save time. If you get frozen shrimp, thaw them in the fridge the night before making this quesadilla recipe.
- Salt to season the veggies
- Cilantro: Chop fresh cilantro.
- Tortillas: Choose high-fiber tortillas with 110 calories or fewer, like Ole Xtreme. You can use different tortillas, but the nutritional info will change.
- Cheese: You’ll need shredded pepper jack or Monterey Jack cheese.
- Tomato Avocado Salsa: Tomato, avocado, lime juice, cilantro, red onion, salt
- Protein: Swap shrimp with diced chicken or ground turkey.
- Cheese: Use shredded cheddar cheese or Mexican cheese blend.
- Tomatoes: Sub grape or cherry tomatoes.
- Tortillas: Substitute flour or corn tortillas.
How to Make Shrimp Quesadillas
- Tomato Avocado Salsa: Combine the salsa ingredients in a bowl. When ready to use, drain in a colander so the quesadilla doesn’t get soggy.
- Vegetables: Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, and sauté onion, garlic, and jalapeño in oil until soft for about two minutes. Add the tomatoes and salt and cook until thickened for a few minutes.
- Shrimp: Add the chopped shrimp and cilantro to the skillet and increase the heat to medium-high. Cook for one to two minutes until the shrimp turns pink and is cooked in the center. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and set aside.
- Prep the Skillet: Clean the skillet, spray with oil, and return the heat to medium-high.
- Cook the Quesadillas: Lay a tortilla flat in the pan, spread shrimp mixture onto one half, and top with cheese. Cook the tortilla for two minutes to melt the cheese then add the drained salsa. Fold the bare tortilla half over the filling with a spatula and press lightly to seal. Flip it over and cook until golden and crispy. Slice it into wedges and serve. Repeat the process with the remaining ingredients.
What to Serve with Shrimp Quesadillas
You can eat these healthy shrimp quesadillas plain or garnish them with various toppings. Salsa, guacamole, sour cream, or chopped fresh cilantro are excellent options to enhance the flavors. For some side dishes, try this Grilled Corn Salad, Skillet Mexican Zucchini, Black Beans or Tortilla Soup.
How to Store Quesadillas
Store these shrimp quesadillas in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Reheat them in a skillet for best results, or microwave them if you’re short on time.
More Mexican-Inspired Shrimp Recipes You Will Love
Yield: 4 servings
Serving Size: 1 quesadilla
For the Tomato Avocado Salsa:
Heat a large skillet over medium heat, saute the onion, garlic and jalapeno in oil until soft, about 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and 1/4 teaspoon salt and cook until thickened 2 to 3 minutes.
Add the shrimp, and cilantro and cook medium- high heat 1 to 2 minutes, until the shrimp turns pink and is cooked through. Set aside in a bowl.
Clean the skillet. Respray and return to medium-high heat.
Lay tortilla flat, and spread a quarter of the shrimp onto one half. Top with 1/4 cup cheese. Cook the half-loaded tortilla for 2 minutes. Top with 1/4 of the drained salsa.
Fold the bare tortilla half over the filling with a spatula, and press lightly to seal.
Carefully flip and cook until golden and crispy, about 3 minutes on each side.
Slice into wedges and serve. Repeat with the remaining.
Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.
Serving: 1 quesadilla, Calories: 299 kcal, Carbohydrates: 27.5 g, Protein: 24 g, Fat: 16 g, Saturated Fat: 6 g, Cholesterol: 132 mg, Sodium: 998 mg, Fiber: 14 g, Sugar: 4 g